Saturday 30 April 2011

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go I wish you well; keep warm and well fed", but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if is not accompanied by action, is dead" James 2:15-17

Quote from a book I am reading
 "The matter is quite simple. The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly."

I have got lots of clothes. I have cute little tops, cardis, jackets, dresses, hoodies, scarves, jeans, shorts, skirts & shoes (sandals, thongs, sneakers, boots). Do you get the picture?
I have enough. Actually I have more than enough!

What do I really need?
Do I go shopping because I need more clothes?

The girls waiting to be measured up for school uniforms.
One was sent home from school because of old shoes.

Why all the questions???
I'd rather not think about it.

Then I met some children....
I met a brother & sister who were sent home from school because their shoes were too old and worn. I met several children who were missing school because they didn’t have a uniform.
I heard of a sweet 12 year old girl who is living with her grandfather and desperately needs clothing.

I've heard that meeting the poor is like meeting Jesus. 
For me...that was exactly what is was like....BEAUTIFUL ...a priviledge...I can never be the same...and it demands a response.

How can I keep buying more & more when I look into the faces of those who have so little. Enough is enough!!!!


My challenge.  
Starting from 1st May 2011 I plan to have a year without buying any clothes for myself. The money saved will go towards needy children in Rukurukulevu village, Fiji

How YOU can be involved.
* My first goal is to raise money to buy school shoes for children that need them. They cost approx $20 each.
* Would you please consider making a donation towards shoes for the children or you can sponsor me per month.
Contact: theslatters@bigpond.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, good for you for taking action instead of just saying 'I should do something'. It's not easy to avoid spending, as advertising to buy, buy, buy hits us everywhere we go. Stay strong. I am willing to make a donation to this very worthy cause. Wendy Steele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,

    This is a great challenge indeed. Has made me think what can I give up to make a diffirence in the lfe of another or others.
    Was thinking about simple ways eg: Give up a coffee a week $3.50 = $182.00 per year thats 9 pairs of shoes..
    So I have decided to give up diet coke for a year and for evry time I want a bottle will donate the money to buy shoes.This will not only bless little feet but will be good for my health as well.

    Blessings Caroline

    ReplyDelete